Exodus 33:11a “The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend.” (NIV)
Every follower of Christ has the same opportunity to experience this type of conversation and friendship with God. We all crave and hunger for good friendships. Why not make your number one friendship with the God of the universe? God made this easy through His Son, Jesus. In Jesus we are given the perfect example of a friend.
Here are five things that will help you come face to face with God Himself:
1. James 2:23b shows how Abraham’s friendship with God was rooted in faith, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness, and he was called God's friend.” (NIV) Believing in God, His promises, and His commands bring you into His presence. You live outside of God’s work and direction if you constantly live in unbelief. Believing in Him and walking in that belief builds friendship and relationship with Your Lord!
2. Jesus, in John 15:14, cut to the heart of friendship when He said, “You are My friends if you do what I command.” (NIV) Friends are faithful. If you cannot be trusted, constantly do the opposite of God’s ways, and prove unreliable, your friendship with God will continually be in disrepair.
3. In John 15:15, Jesus speaks to the importance of knowing God, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from My Father I have made known to you.” (NIV) Know your Lord and Savior. Savor your time with Him. Get to know Him by consistently reading the Bible. Allow plenty of time to talk and listen to Him in prayer. Your friendship will flourish out of the intimacy of your relationship with Jesus.
4. John 3:29a defines the importance of waiting, “The bride belongs to the Bridegroom. The friend who attends the Bridegroom waits.” (NIV) Friends are patient. Impatience negates and degrades true friendship. Moses spent 40 days waiting on God. Jesus spent 40 days waiting in prayer and fasting before starting His ministry. Patience cultivates true friendship with God.
5. John 3:29b reveals one of the most important attributes of friendship – listening, “The friend . . . listens for Him, and is full of joy when he hears the Bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete.” (NIV) Always talking, always asking, always complaining does not reveal the depth of your friendship with Your Lord, but the lack of quality. Friends of God love His voice, because God’s voice not only reveals His heart, but also His love for you.
God no longer calls you servant, but friend. Jesus died on the cross because He loves you. Set your standard each day not to just talk to God, but to talk to your best friend. Hunger for a friendship that does not just start your day, but also radiates the brilliance of God Himself!
Exodus 34:29 “When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD.” (NIV)
Do you know someone who needs this message on developing a relationship with God? If so, sign them up to receive weekly or forward this devotion to them as a blessing for their growth in Christ.
Here are some Bible studies from Growing in Christ to help your transformative experience: “Deeper With God” and “Transformation.”
Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter