You have probably had a time where your sought God’s direction, felt you heard Him, stepped out in obedience, and then failed. Did God let you down or was your failure due to a lack the faith? This story about Peter not only gives you the response to failures when stepping out in faith, but also how to hear and follow God.
- “Tell me to come to You on the water” - When you feel God is stirring something in you, do not act without first asking God for His leading and peace.
- “Come” – Give God the time to answer while allowing time for you to hear God’s answer.
- “Peter…walked on the water” – Obey when you hear God.
- “He saw the wind, he was afraid” – Do not base God’s call on the circumstances around you but upon God’s calling and faithfulness to do what He said.
- “Beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me” – When your faith falters and your circumstances worsen, you still have the choice of running from God or running to Him. Always choose God. Continue to call upon Him for direction and peace.
- “Jesus…caught him” – When you call to the Lord, He will catch you. His plans for you will not go unanswered.
- “You of little faith…why did you doubt” – Without faith you will quickly be overtaken by life’s circumstances.
Did God let Peter down or was it an inadequacy in Peter’s faith? Peter answered the question when he cried out and the Lord caught Him. Peter may have taken his eyes off of Jesus during his response to Jesus’ call, but he quickly realized that only in Jesus did he have true success. Jesus was Peter’s answer to struggle, difficulty, and failure. Seek God in all that you do, respond by faith, know that He is God and that your security and success are in Him.
Psalm 50:15 “Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor Me." (NIV)
Psalm 9:10 “Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You.” (NIV)
Psalm 37:24 “Though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with His hand.” (NIV)
Psalm 37:7 “How priceless is Your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of Your wings.” (NIV)